New to yoga? We were all there once.
Here’s what you need to know before you take your first class:
Set aside time on your calendar for class. If you're new, we recommend a Slow Flow to start, but truly come to whichever class interests you. Write it in your planner or put in on your mobile calendar. Read about our classes & access our schedule by clicking here. And, if you're new to Yoga Dear, download your $25 for 2 Weeks of Unlimited Yoga Pass by joining our fam' here.
What do you need to bring? Yourself! Wear comfortable clothes that you can move in. We have complimentary mats, props, and water, or feel free to bring your own.
Try to get to the studio 10-15 minutes prior to your first class. That will give you time to park and fill out a new student form. There is a free parking lot right behind our studio on Cherry Alley and street parking all around. You can also park in the Mifflinburg Bank & Trust parking lot outside of their regular business hours - aka before 8:00 a.m. and after 5:00 p.m. during the week (after 6:00 p.m. on Fridays). And, you can park there all day on the weekends!
Say hello! Introduce yourself to the instructor. Share any injuries and what interested you in yoga. And, get to know fellow students. We love the community here and think you will, too.
We typically practice barefoot in yoga, so take off shoes and socks. Of course, if you’d rather keep your socks on, we’re cool with that. The typical yoga class starts off with a centering exercise, usually with a focus on breathing. Then, we’ll warm up the body and move into the physical movement of class (called the asana). We’ll close with savasana, which is a final relaxation and rest. It might grow to be your favorite pose. Laugh, have fun in class, ask questions - we love that!
Hey, what’s with the funny words? There’s a language to yoga and it’s called Sanskrit. You might hear teachers refer to certain poses in their Sanskrit terms followed up by the English translation. Don’t worry, we don’t expect you to know it.
Remember, yoga is not about the pose itself. It’s not about getting a handstand or being able to twist yourself into a pretzel. It’s about being completely present in body and mind. It’s about community, having fun. Check any thoughts of perfection at the door.
After class, ask the instructor questions or tell her/him how you’re feeling.
See? Simple, right?! If you're using one of our Intro passes, take #alltheyoga you'd like to get acquainted with our style, teachers, community, and to see what classes are working for you. Read more about our membership options and benefits here. Looking for a more intimate experience? See if you Private Yoga is for you.
Other common FAQ’s:
Do I need to pre-register?
We appreciate it when you pre-register. Download the Mind/Body app on your phone to make it easy or register right online. Some classes get full, others are a little less so, but this always ensures your spot!
Oops! I need to cancel class. How do I cancel my reservation?
You can cancel reservations the same way you booked them. Please visit the Mind/Body app or website and go to the class that you'd like to cancel, and select "Cancel." Please make sure to cancel class if you know you cannot attend to open space for another yogi.
I'm on the waitlist. What does that mean?
If you are on the waitlist for a class, that simply means that currently the class is full, but you will be among the next in line if there is a cancellation. If you are added from the waitlist, you will receive an email from Mind/Body confirming your reservation. Please add email@example.com to your email contact list to ensure delivery. You can also arrive to class to see if there's space, but please note mat space will be given to those who've pre-registered first.
Who can practice yoga?
Anybody! You don’t have to be super flexible or have the right yoga pants to join us. Just come as you are and smile. Smiling’s our favorite.
What if I have injuries or I’m expecting?
Please let us know prior to class. All of our teachers are able to provide modifications for your needs. Take rests and breaks when you need to - childs pose and downward facing dog are good poses to rest in. For expecting mamas, take it easy on twists and inversions.
What are your regular business hours?
Leanne, studio founder, is around at varying hours, but the studio is ALWAYS open 15 minutes prior to each class. If you have any questions at all, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We love hearing from you!
Do expiration dates apply for all memberships and packages? Why?
Yes, each of our services and memberships have expiration dates that apply. Please peruse the memberships page and the private session page to view. Please contact the studio at email@example.com for extenuating circumstances. We have expiration dates to encourage you to build a regular practice. As with anything, we get better over time, and yoga is a true practice that we learn to cultivate every day in body, mind, and spirit.
Memberships & passes that are not activated expire one calendar year from purchase.
- Can I change or get a refund for my purchase?
- All purchases are final and non-refundable and/or non- transferable. In the event of a medical emergency, specialty programs/series & workshops will be refunded at 50% of total payment with doctor's note.
- I want to share my membership or class pass with a family member or friend. Can I do that?
- All memberships and passes are non - transferable, meaning your membership and pass is for you and you alone. If perhaps, you do want to share a 10-Class Pass with someone, you may only share with ONE individual for the duration of your pass (i.e. spouse, mother/daughter pair, roommate, etc.). Class Pass sharing must be set up in studio. Please remember you can only share your pass with one individual for its duration. This only applies to 10-Class Passes.
- Do you ever offer discounts? Do you have special rates for senior citizens, veterans, or students?
- Senior Citizens 60+, veterans, and students receive 10% off of services and memberships. Please visit the memberships page.
- We send each member a birthday gift and occasionally we'll throw out a special offer. To be honest, we rarely offer discounted classes or packages, as we believe in the level of expertise and instruction from our classes, series, and events. If there is an offer, please know we do not combine discounts or special rates. We only honor one at a time.
- I'm seeking a donation for my organization or fundraiser. How should I get in touch?
- Yoga Dear adores supporting our community. Each year, Yoga Dear is delighted to offer six (6) donation packages for fundraisers, auctions, etc. Priority is given to support our members' interests and volunteer activities first. If you'd like to inquire about a donation, please write to Leanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- I'd like to post a flyer for my event, organization, or business at your studio. How can I do that?
- We love learning about what's happening in our community! Our small bulletin board is located in the bathroom of our studio (only space for three or four flyers). Priority is given to studio events and members' announcements. The rest are first come, first serve when we have space!